Mass Email Policy
The University of Florida has developed the following policy to manage the number of mass e-mails sent to students. This protocol establishes an approval process for mass e-mails and is designed to encourage the use of other ways to communicate with students electronically.
The Office of the Vice President for University Relations has been charged with ensuring that mass e-mails sent to all students are approved under the guidelines indicated below.
Use the following steps to help determine if a mass e-mail to students is the appropriate method to deliver a message:
1. Determine the urgency of the message.
- Does it pertain to the health of students?
- Does it pertain to student safety?
- Is it an emergency?
- Does the appropriate vice president specifically request a mass student e-mail?
- Does it pertain to university services or programs that affect students in a broad cross section of colleges?
2. If none of the above applies, determine if the content of the e-mail could instead be sent through one of the following options to reach the intended audience.
- Department listserv
- College listserv
- Graduate School listserv
- The weekly Gator Times electronic newsletter
3. If you have determined that a mass student e-mail is the appropriate mechanism, please obtain approval from your supervisor, unit head/department chair, dean or director and your vice president. Once you have the above approvals please contact Janine Sykes.